"Treatment excellent - follow up rubbish!"

About: Hull Royal Infirmary

I was rushed to HRI for back surgery after an accident the treatment and operation went very well and the staff although busy were excellent (Food was awful though!).

However I was told my follow up appointment with the Consultant would be 6 weeks...what a joke. After 7 weeks I rang to find out what was happening to be told I wasn't even on the list. I eventually received an appointment 15 weeks after surgery, this is just not good enough. Especially after being told I must not lift anything such as shopping or hoover until I had seen the Consultant. As I live on my own this was almost impossible for 15 weeks.

I wrote to the Consultant asking for a letter about my operation as I have to have a specialist medical before I can scuba dive again. The letter was sent 2 weeks before my appointment. At the meeting the consultant had not got the letter (luckily I had taken a copy with me). I was promised a letter that would be sent to me personally so that I could take this to the diving medical referee. However 3 weeks after the appointment and I still do not have the letter. I have tried calling but the extension just rings out with no one answering it. Unfortunately my membership with the BSAC has now run out and as an instructor I can no longer teach novice divers. Also I ave been Chairman of my local branch for 13 years but I have now had to step down because as I am not a member of the BSAC I cannot hold the chair position!

I am absolutely disgusted by the lack of contact and attitude. My life is now on hold until someone has the courtesy to write to me.