"Generally good"

About: St James's University Hospital

The care on the respiratory unit for my mother was in general good. As a charge nurse myself I noticed that the staff taking observations very rarely took a patients respiratory rate, this was guessed. I feel this is inexplicable!

A patients respiratory rate is an important part of the assessment. Why incorporate it if one is going to guess? Lazy.

Response from Shannon Dunford, PALS Officer, Patient Experience, PALS, Leeds Teaching Hospitals

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

I am very sorry to read of your concerns regarding the way staff took observations on the ward where your mother was an inpatient.

Unfortunately there is not enough information in your post to allow us to look into the matters you have raised thoroughly therefore I would ask that you contact our Trust’s Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS).

This would also allow us look into the matters you have raised more thoroughly and also to see what lessons we could learn from your experience.

Please call our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 206 6261 or alternatively email patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net

Senior Nurse