"Care above and beyond"

About: Ipswich Hospital / Cardiology

In October 2015, my mum was on Debenham Ward at Ipswich Hospital with bladder cancer. She suffered a stroke and began to decline.

My dad who is 91 wanted to be with her until the end so he was at the hospital most of the day and night.

The staff on the ward were phenomenal. Nurse Carey (I am not sure if I am remembering the name correctly) found a reclining chair for my father to use so he could sleep by my mother's bedside each night. He was dozing in that chair when my mother died.

If there was leftover food, the housekeepers fed my father. One particular housekeeper, blonde with a big smile, really took care of him. Because of the support the ward offered my father, he remained physically strong and fairly well rested throughout this ordeal. Thank you!

Response from Dominic Mundy, Patient and Carer Experience Manager, Clinical Directorate, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust

Good afternoon,

First and foremost thank you so very much for taking the time to leave such lovely feedback, I dont think I am able to put into words how delighted we are that the team on Debenham were able to make your mother and father as comfortable as possible at such a difficult time.

I will forward your feedback immediately onto the team on Debenham who I have no doubt will be so pleased to hear such positive comments.

I hope your father is keeping strong and well.

Many thanks again for your time.

Response from Ipswich Hospital

Thank you so very much for giving us this heartwarming feedback especially at such a sad time for you and your family. We are really proud of the Debenham team and will be absolutely sure to share your comments with everyone involved.

Our very best wishes.