"Poor service. Excessive waiting time."

About: Papworth Hospital

(as other),

Accompanying a patient to attend the Papworth Hospital Sleep Clinic held at Thetford Healthy Living Centre.

Main reception desk didn't want to know and said just sit over there!

1 hour after appointment time - patient was called by nurse for BP and weight check. This was performed in a room with floor littered with boxes of equipment and shared with technician checking patient's monitors. No large BP cuff available so forearm used for BP measurement.

1hour 20minutes after appointment time - called by Dr. No apology for lateness so I asked 'Do your clinics usually run this late? ' response was Oh I don't know what the time is. A satisfactory consultation followed.

During my one hour 15 min wait I observed - The main reception desk is situated close to the waiting area. Every word the member of staff spoke on the 'phone during her several, apparently mostly personal, calls was plainly audible to me. There is no patient confidentiality.

At no time did any member of staff apologise for the late running of the clinic.

Patients seemed to be seen at random with no regard for appointments.

Response from Rachel Allen, Senior Media and Communications Specialist, Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on this service. We are sorry to hear you had such a long wait for your appointment without explanation of the clinic delays. In order for us to address this issue we would ask you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team on (01480) 364896 or email pals@papworth.nhs.uk to discuss this further.