"my daughters experience at A&E ,"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Accident & Emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter was admitted by ambulance, she thought she was going to have a seizure, on arrival blood pressure was taken then she was left, I arrived around 40 minutes later, Another hour passed and two nurses came in to do an ECG, My Daughter was asked to strip to the waist for this, where the pads go this is not necessary, the nurses were so cold, no respect, no dignity just told a Doctor would be in with the results, Half an hour later a Doctor came in, the first Question she asked was has anything like this happened before? , had she even bothered to view her medical file she would have known, what treatment she's had and where, I am so conserned for our future if they can't get basics right

Deaf Bif,

I am sorry that your experience while at the Emergency Department with your daughter left you with some concerns, particularly around the lack of respect and dignity you perceived, which is of course a minimum standard we would expect in the care of our patients.

There are a couple of things you mention which I may be able to allay your concerns over, for example, when having an ECG there are occasions when - depending on the clothes a patient is wearing - a patient will have to remove their top. However this should always be done in a way which ensures the patient is comfortable, much of which is down to effective communication.

With regards to the Doctor your daughter saw, sometimes this question is asked not because they do not want to look at the notes, but because they want to understand from the patient's own point of view what is wrong and why they are there. Allowing the patient to give their own information about their history can be helpful, although always in conjunction with official health records.

I trust that everything went well for your daughter after these tests, whether she needed further treatment or not, and hope that should she ever need to use our services again that it is a more positive experience.

Best Wishes,

• Bif doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful