"Contacting a patient"

About: Crosshouse Hospital

We do not have a mobile phone signal at home, but the hospital had my husband's number to ring him at his hotel whilst I was in hospital. I had a follow up appointment last week, which the hospital needed to postpone, so they left a message on my husband's mobile, when they could have tried our landline and reached us.

As a result, we travelled 190 miles to no avail.

Oh irmgard,

What a nuisance. I am so sorry, this is something we can learn from. Perhaps we need the belts and braces approach and use both numbers. I know it can be difficult getting people in and we do depend on mobiles (perhaps too much).

I will pass this to the mangers for their consideration. I am so sorry the appointment needed changed in the first placed and sorry it lead to such a waste of your time and money. I am not sure if we can arrange reimbursement for your journey but if you want to contact me I will explore this for you.

If you do want to contact me, you can phone me on 01563 826222 or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or.

I hope the rest of your appointment run smoothly and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best wishes,

Eunice

Update posted by irmgard (the patient)

I don't need compensation. I just do not want this to happen to me or to anyone else ever again. We do not all have mobile phone coverage at home. If we don't ,we do tend to have a landline.

I have passed this on to the Referral Management Service amongst other Senior Managers for their awareness and consideration. The Referral Management Service policy is to try both mobile and home numbers. From your post I am unsure what service was responsible for cancelling your appointment. It could be one of many services. If you would like to contact me and tell me the service concerned, I can highlight this directly to them. Thank you again for your contact.

Eunice