"Lack of care at the out of hours department"

About: Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust

I went to the out of hours department with stomach pains on my right side. I explained to the Dr about it and also said that 5 days before hand my urine was brightly coloured but seemed to look ok now. He pressed my stomach in 3 places (none of which where it hurt) then said that it was too low for appendicitis and so must be my bowels. (Blaming my ibs) I did tell him that I had been taking things for my ibs and it hadn't helped.. he just said that he would give me better tablets. So I went home. Two days later I went to my gp and they admitted me straight to hospital with suspected appendicitis. While in hospital for 2 days I had numerous tests and they said it wasn't appendicitis but a bad water infection. I feel that if the out of hours Dr had been more vigilant and done a urine test then I wouldn't of had to be in pain for any longer and I wouldn't of wasted the nhs any time or money in keeping my in for 2 days!

Response from Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust

LCHS apologise that you find yourself needing to complain about your treatment from the Out of Hours Service.

Please be assured that LCHS take all complaints as a means to share lessons with the wider team. We are sorry on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and agree that a urine sample testing would have assisted us in ruling out or diagnosing a urine infection at the time.