"An infection after operation"

About: East Surrey Hospital

I had a varicose veins endovenous laser ablation recently at East Surrey Hospital.

While I recovered well for the first 24 hours, thereafter I had increasing pains in my upper leg where the main part of the surgery had taken place. It was so painful that I could hardly walk by the late evening and kept me awake all night. In the morning I called NHS 111 helpline and was advised by a clinician to seek an emergency appointment with a GP at Oxted Health Centre as it appeared I may have an infection. Dr prescribed a course of Co-Amoxylin which I am pleased to say cleared up the infection which I picked up during the operation.

Response from Barbara Bray, Chief of Surgery, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Mr Onegoodleg

Thanks for contacting us about the infection in your leg. You did the right thing by calling NHS111 and seeing a GP. I am glad to hear that you are now recovering well.

Laser varicose vein treatment is very safe and there is a very low rate of infection. I will ensure that the vascular team at SASH are aware that this happened to you. Below is a website with more information about this type of procedure and its complications.

Best wishes