"Experience with Inpatient Ward"

About: Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

I was admitted onto an inpatient ward after a overdose in March. My experience there was horrific. Staff were utterly unorganised and insensitive.

I felt that they did not treat patients who were struggling with respect, often rolling their eyes at them, shouting at them or uttering derogatory remarks behind their backs. Most of them seemed utterly clueless when it came to offering advice and help to patients. Most made useless remarks or even unpleasant comments.

I made further suicide attempts while there. No one removed ligatures or other materials from my possession upon admission or even shortly before I left.

I felt very lonely and scared as I was left to grapple with suicidal feelings and risk on my own. The consultant psychiatrist there was in my opinion the worst psychiatrist I have encountered in my eight years with mental health services. They were threatening, did not listen to what I had to say and I felt they were generally incompetent. After almost two months there a patient I was very close with committed suicide while on leave. I am absolutely dismayed that this service is allowed to continue functioning despite such an incident.

Response from Sylvia Atherton, Experiences of Care Manager, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Good afternoon fleetwoodmacfan

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on the patient opinion site, I am sorry to learn that you feel that your experiences of the services provided by Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CPFT) have been poor.

To enable me to look into your concerns and to be able to learn from your experiences I would appreciate it if you could contact me so we can discuss. CPFT really values feedback whether good or bad to ensure that we are delivering a service to meet the needs of those using it.

Sylvia Atherton