"Long delays at A&E"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

Was seen within an hour of arrival to 'check in' other patients arrived checked in. Some came back. Some didn't. Then no one was seen for over 2 hours. We waited patiently. Even watched a film. Tried to enquire how long we would be very unsuccessfully. Then at approximately 1. 45am 3 people were called forward in 5 minutes or less. We were released to contact again if still in pain.

Car parking charges were fair however the next band of charges could have been avoided if the delays were not so long. Appreciate priority of patients. But nurses standing chatting and drinking cups of tea does not bode well with patients sitting in waiting rooms. 1 Nurse had 3 cups of tea in the time I was waiting for my son to be seen. I was not even able to get water! Just as well as there was no toilet roll available. Had to ask chatting Nurse to restock.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Stressedpatient,

Sorry that you experienced delays on your recent attendance in A&E, at times the department can be busy and unfortunately delays to see the doctors can occur. The department does prioritise patients to see the most urgent first and more minor cases can experience delays. I apologise if this was not fully explained to you and I will share your concerns with the A&E team.

Water fountains and cups are accessible in the A&E Waiting Room and the Majors area, again if you asked and this was not explained I must apologise.

It is important that staff keep hydrated during their long shifts and are not always able to take breaks away from the work area but I will share your concerns.

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister