"Worry I have been forgotten about"

About: New Victoria Hospital (Glasgow) NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde / West Scotland Breast Screening Centre

Found my breast lump around May and visited my GP who referred me to New Victoria. It's now October and I haven't had an appointment through yet.

Waiting is stressful enough without delays and the worry that I have been forgotten about. Spoke with GP receptionist as I was unable to reach hospital on number provided. She was helpful and was told that breast clinic never respond to voicemails, despite their telephone number nearly always being connected to voicemail. Apparently I should call every day and keep calling til I get through. I got through once in July and was told to call back in August. It's now October and I still haven't received my appointment.

I am really concerned to read this and would like to help to get this sorted for you. There are a number of problems you have highlighted here, but all are around how we are communicating with our patients, all of which need to be addressed.

I know that many clinics do rely on voicemail when telephone lines are busy so that they can get back to patients as soon as possible, and for the most part these clinics will strive to call patients back the same or next day. Clearly however, it is not good enough if patients are not having their calls returned, or feel that it is a struggle to get through.

If you could contact me directly with some personal information, I can look specifically at the circumstances around the delay you have experienced and to see what we can do going forward, but it would also help me to understand more some of the issues you have had around getting in contact with the clinic. My email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk and I really hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,