"Admitted with heart attack"

About: Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital

My wife was admitted with a heart attack and waited over 4 hours to be seen by the doctor who was very friendly and helpful, however in her room there were used syringes lying on the floor which 2 nurses failed to pick up and it was the 3rd nurse who eventually picked them up, my wife got moved to short stay ward while waiting to be transferred to the freeman hospital, however whilst waiting a nurse fitted a cannular, there was quite a lot of blood coming from a very small needle hole and my wife immediately felt sick and complaint that it was sore to 2 nurses, this was not looked at again until she arrived at the freeman hospital 2 days later and they immediately told her it was infected, my wife's arm was swollen very badly and became badly bruised from her wrist to above her elbow and this was treated by a pressure bandage whilst she had to keep her arm held up all night,

Response from Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital

Dear anonymous

Please accept my apologies that it has taken a little while to respond to you. Most importantly I very much hope that your wife is now making a full recovery.

I’m concerned to hear about some aspects of your wife’s experience and of her discomfort whilst in our care. It is not what we would wish or expect for our patients. Without more details it is difficult to fully address these concerns but would appreciate you getting in touch so we can discuss this further with you or your wife. If you would be able to get in touch with the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 032 0202 / northoftynepals@nhct.nhs.uk, I will make them aware that you may be contacting them.

With kindest regards

Claire Riley, director of communications and corporate affairs