"Transnasal Endoscopy"

About: Royal Berkshire Hospital

I first tired to have an endoscopy via the mouth a year ago. I wasn't able to tolerate the procedure. It was too uncomfortable and much worse than I imagined. After researching on the internet, I saw that transnasal was a more tolerable option. I was initially told that the Royal Berks didn't do them. Waited ages for a private referral. Then one day, several months later, I received a letter from the RBH advising they do offer transnasal endoscopies. My honest view is, it is still a very unpleasant experience with lots of initial retching and almost impossible to relax! However, once you get past that stage, it does become tolerable. I am relived I finally got it done! The staff were very good and knew how to deal with someone like myself, who was particually anxious about the procedure, which really makes a difference.

Response from Royal Berkshire Hospital

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your experience within our department. Feedback is always good to have for our learning and development and we will take your comments back to the team so that they know they have had a positive impact on a patient's experience.