"ENT – Professional & friendly. Long gaps..."
About: Queen's Hospital (Romford) Queen's Hospital (Romford) Romford RM7 0AG
Posted by Paul Fillary
I am a 62 year old male and was urgently referred to the ENT department at the Queens Hospital by my GP on 5th August 2015. My GP believed my breathing problem was due to nasal polyps which bled when prodded. My first consultation with the ENT specialist was scheduled for and took place at 18.40 p.m. on the evening of 19th August 2015.
The ENT Consultant was unable to carry out a full visual inspection as my nasal airways were so congested with the polyps that they could not insert any instruments into the nasal passages. The consultant understood and appreciated my constant discomfort with this condition and all staff were very pleasant, professional and punctual, in my experience. The consultant said that I should have a CT scan of my head which was arranged for Bank Holiday Monday 31st August 2015, 08.20 a.m. Again staff were very pleasant, explaining everything and on time. My next appointment to see the consultant was arranged for 29th September 2015. The consultant showed me 3-dimensional images indicating polyp-congested areas in the nasal passages, sinuses, and forehead. Again the consultant explained clearly and fully that I needed keyhole surgery to remove these extremely large obstructions which would take about 1 hour of surgery under full anaesthetic. I would most probably leave the hospital on the same day after recovery from the anaesthetic. My wife and I were given to believe that my surgery would happen quite soon perhaps within two weeks as it was said that it would be unfair to leave me in that state of constant nasal blockage for much longer. Understandably I would fall in place behind other patients with more life-threatening conditions.
However I phoned admissions a week later, on 6th October 2015, and was told that my surgery was more likely to be carried out in “2-3 months” time, (shock and horror) worst case scenario estimate 6th January 2016, which would be 22 weeks after the first urgent referral by my GP, approximately 5 months. The person I spoke to in admissions did ask if I could be available to take a cancellation spot which I obviously agreed to. I’m awaiting the outcome on that, but no guarantees.
However if it is left to the worst case scenario, I just hope my other airways hold out till then, otherwise I could be in serious trouble or worse. I’ll keep you posted of the outcome or changes of circumstance, if I’m able.