"very valuable service"

About: Stapleford Children's Centre

I attended staple ford sure start breast feeding support group in May, with my 4 week old baby girl. I was encouraged to go by a friend.

I was having a very difficult time breast feeding due to recurrent mastitis and nipple damage. I had already seen my GP, health visitor and have been referred to the hospital breast clinic. I was feeling low and tearful about this and considering giving up breast feeding ((this was my 2nd baby and I had breastfed my first child for a year)

I was made very welcome at the support group “babes”, there was a friendly supportive atmosphere and I was seen and advised by Nicola, who was helpful, encouraging and gave practical advice as well as being a good listener regarding my issues.

Four months on I am still breastfeeding my baby and realise how much I really valued the input at the group and advisor when I struggled. I have since returned to the group. I feel it is a very valuable service.

Response from Steve Lack, District Manager (Broxtowe Cluster), Sure Start Children's Centre, Health Partnerships

Hi Flits432,

Many thanks for your posting.

I am really glad that you have found the Breastfeeding group useful and that it has supported you to continue Breastfeeding.

Your feedback helps us plan and evaluate our services and we are always looking for stories of this nature that evidence the impact these groups are making, it aslo helps to make staff aware of the value you place on their services. Thanks once again for your posting

• Flits432 thinks this response is helpful

Response from Andy White, Training and Learning Facilitator, Sure Start Children's Centres, Nottinghamshire Children and Families Partnership, Health Partnerships

HI Flits 432

Its always a pleaseure to read such positive feedback about the services we are providing to local families.

One of the benefits of having a breastfeeding support group within a children's centre is that its an inviting environment and families are made to feel welcome whenever they drop in.

Our next challenge is then to offer a service which is valued. As an organisation we work hard in upskilling all of our staff from children's workers right through to management to offer breastfeeding support.

We also train our volunteers to a similiar standard which ensures the key messages are consistent with those our health collegues are also promoting.

It also helps when within your staff team we can draw upon the knowledge and expertise of staff such as Nicola who can go that extra step.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story and I hope to see you at the children's centre again.
  • Flits432 thinks this response is helpful