"Fast track Breast cancer treatment derailed"

About: Queen Margaret Hospital / General Surgery

My 85 year old mother attended Queen Margaret Hospital Dunfermline having been told she would have an operation for a small lump on her breast. Previously we were impressed with the fast track approach arranging tests etc, however having left her at the hospital early in the morning, I received a call from a nurse at 50 minutes later stating the anaesthetist had deemed her too breathless for the operation and could I come and collect her. I feel fitness for operation should have been determined at the pre op assessment which was carried out the previous week at which I was at pains to point out my mother had been breathless on exertion for many years and not have stressed, fasted patients told this at a time they expect an operation..

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear ratbag

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your mother's recent experience. The fast tracking is a great improvement but how disappointing that your mother was not able to have the surgery on the day planned. I can make sure your comments are passed on to the service; however if you wish a more specific response I would need to get some more information from you.

Please get in touch if you think it would be helpful to receive a more specific response. In the meantime I will make sure the Service has seen this.

Louise Ewing