"Dignity of care"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / General Medicine

I was admitted for a colonoscopy. This treatment was unsuccessful due to poor preparation from nursing staff. After being sedated and leaving theatre I was left to soil myself on 3 occasions after the nurses told me I could not use the patient toilet. They left me and did not attempt to help clean me up. My partner had to wash me and put me into fresh pyjamas. This happened in front of other patients. What happened to dignity of care?

Dear Busby,

I admit that reading your post saddened me. I have said for many years that we should not have to leave our dignity at the door when we come into hospital and I stand by that. It is not dignified to experience what you did and for that I am really sorry.

From your post I do not know which ward you were in for this stay and to investigate it further, I would have to know more about you. If you would like to contact me and let me know your CHI number, date of birth, address, what ward you were in and when, I can look into it for you. I am on 01563 826222 and eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.

I hope you are recovered now,

Best wishes,

Eunice

Update posted by Busby (the patient)

Hi Eunice

I have tried to contact you on numerous occasions and the number is ringing out. Can you please provide an e-mail address?

Busby

Dear Busby,

Sorry, I was out of the office all day yesterday but I will be in the office all day today. My email address is eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk. I look forward to talking with you.

Eunice