"Beyond disgraceful."

About: Good Hope Hospital

My poor father was admitted to Good Hope two weeks ago with pneumonia. His treatment at the hands of agency staff on ward 10, and subsequently ward 12, has been disgraceful, showing little respect; the poor man is just trying to maintain a little dignity. Staff were however, kind enough to provide my mother (85 with a heart condition), with some rubber gloves so she could look after him whilst in ward 10 as the ward was understaffed. Other equipment needed simply wasn't available, and very little help was forthcoming. No comprehensive information on his condition has been provided, and as the hospital has lost his hearing aids, he finds it hard to follow what medical staff are telling him. To top it all my mother was told that he was to be discharged because the ward 'doesn't really cater for ill people'. How true!.

There are so many other issues too. Poor, poor Dad.

Dear Anonymous

thank you for post regarding your father's admission to Ward 10 and Ward 12 at Good Hope Hospital. Your feedback is very important to us.

I am very sorry to read of the issues you describe and would like to speak with you directly to obtain some more information to enable me to look into the concerns you have described and I would like to look into this as soon as possible.

I can be contacted on 0121 424 0808 or by email: marie.helebert@heartofengland.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience and I am sorry that you have had cause for concern.

Yours sincerely

Marie Helebert

Response from Matthew Cooke, Deputy Medical Director, Heart of England Foundation Trust

I am very concerned to hear this. Please do contact Marie 0121 424 0808 or by email: marie.helebert@heartofengland.nhs.uk and we will investigate it further.

Prof Matthew Cooke