"Post op. After care"

About: North Tyneside General Hospital

Following a hernia operation (which went well) I was discharged and informed that there was no need for any further follow up. I was given information how to care for the wound and telephone numbers to call if there is any problems. A coupe of weeks later I had a extremely large swelling in the wound area and I went to my GP who rang the hospital on my behalf and informed that I would not be seen and would have to go to a&e.My doctor was so concerned that they rang the consultant at South Tyneside hospital who agreed to see me although Iwas not their patient. I have no complaints about the operation at North Tyeside Hospital but the after care could be improved.

Response from North Tyneside General Hospital

Dear R Wilkinson,

I know the surgical team have done quite a lot of work to ensure patients feel adequately supported once they return home so it’s very disappointing to hear that we’ve failed to get this right for you. I am sorry.

I’d be grateful if you’d let me know a few more details privately so that we can locate your notes and speak to staff to understand a little more about what has happened. My email is annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk

Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention – we need to know about any gaps in care in order to be able to put them right.

With best wishes, Annie