"The service and approach was excellent from all staff"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / General Surgery NHS Ayrshire & Arran

I was referred to the Breast Clinic as I found a small lump. I was quickly given an appointment. On the day, the service and approach was excellent from all staff involved. The process was smooth and effective with mammogram, examination, ultrasound and results all within the same day.

I asked to see my mammogram and ultrasound results on screen and they were explained clearly. I was able to ask lots of questions as I wanted to understand what was going on in my body. For me a huge relief as I was told I had nothing there that should not be there. The Consultant mentioned the word benign a few times during the exam and before the ultrasound - which was a bit scary - as I was convinced I had nothing to worry about. However it made it all the more real.

I want to thank and commend the team at Crosshouse Hospital for their support and kindness on my visit in September.

Dear Nini111,

I am so glad that your experience was all good and that your result was benign. Just to clarify for others who may hear the same word without knowing it's meaning and why we use it to describe lumps - here is the meaning from the dictionary, the word benign means not a threat, harmless in its effect. So you are right not to worry about a benign lump in your breast now that you have had it investigated. I will be delighted to pass this to the team so they can appreciate how you found your care to be so good and so reassuring.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us, I am sure your story will help others too.

Best wishes,