"Quiet and very peaceful"

About: Honiton Birth Unit

I transferred to Honiton Birth Centre after a vary straight forward labour in Exeter RD&E for some support getting breastfeeding established as my son wasn't particularly interested in latching on.

The team there are amazing as are the facilities they provide. Both myself and my husband felt really welcomed and totally supported with our choice to persevere with breast feeding even as the hours dragged on without my son eating. The team recognised how tired I was and when I needed a break, but also helped me to give it a go alone as we grew more confident.

It was quiet and very peaceful so we really felt relaxed and under no pressure to head home till we were happy we had it right. Just an amazing service, without it I don't know if I would have known what to do to get my son feeding and he probably wouldn't be being breastfed now, I can't imagine why the place isn't full everyday with other women getting the same support! We can't thank the team there enough.

Response from Rebecca McGuffog, Patient Engagement and Experience Officer, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Dear lizziefield1982

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Maternity Service at Honiton Birth Unit. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and support you received following the birth of your son.

I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I wish you well for the future.

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'lizziefield1982'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

Thank you for responding to this happy experience and we wish you all the best.

At Healthwatch we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments should help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss this or any health or social care issue with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain
Volunteer

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.