"Blood test"

About: Purley War Memorial Hospital

Dept failed to open until 7.40am with about 15 people waiting. The phlebotomist who took my blood today was 40 minutes late, did not know how to use the spare tourniquet , and when they failed to get blood asked me if I had been drinking. I found this very insulting as it was 7.45 am and I consider myself to be well dressed and respectable certainly no reason to make an assumption such as that.

Apparently they missed their bus and forgot their tourniquet, and was obviously irritated. Does anyone supervise staff, teach them how to communicate with their patients or have an emergency plan in place for situations such as this?

Only the NHS could offer such a bad service and get away with it.

On a positive note, the member of staff who was cleaning floors as we arrived at 6.45 am went out of their way to find some answers for us and was a credit to the dept.

Response from Purley War Memorial Hospital

Dear Mr Ralph

I am very sorry that you had a poor experience in our phlebotomy clinic and apologise both for the inconvenience and the attitude of the member of staff who attended to you.

I have passed on your feedback to the manager of the service so that she can undertake a review of the issues you have highlighted.

I have also passed on your kind words about the domestic staff member who was able to assist you.

Graham Richardson Deputy Manager, PALS and Complaints