"Cystoscopy"

About: Kettering General Hospital

Cystoscopy – this is my opinion on my recent experience. The anaesthetic was painful; the procedure was uncomfortable but tolerable. No pain killers prescribed, however; for three days after the Cystoscopy I had a worrying time as my wee was clear but very painful.

Two weeks later I was alarmed to see that my semen was pink.

Because my father was in and out of hospital in his dying years I have become a nervous patient, as I told the medical personnel - not the best patient.

I have spoken to others who say the anaesthetic was rushed; I am not qualified to say either way, lack of confidence with a previous male consultant plus the fact that I was nearly molested when very young – same sex, therefore I prefer female consultants or whoever examines me below the waist.

I contacted PALS, and on the day a female nurse spent time with me to give me confidence and put me at ease for the procedure.

Before moving here, I had a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, at the time the risks and remedial actions if necessary were explained by three nurses who carried this procedure out and I was comfortable, no problems at all.

My wife was better nursed when she broke her ankle when we moved here, I do support the NHS, nothing is perfect, and some horror stories we read I feel are not true, finally my preference is to see the same consultant throughout, we are the same with our chosen GP, Dentist, physiotherapist, etc