"Incredibly rude appointment staff"

About: St Mary's Hospital (London)

I wanted to write a complaint about how I was spoken to on the telephone today. I called to rearrange a colposcopy appointment as I am suffering from gastroenteritis. The person that answered my call was incredibly huffy about me having to rearrange, as if it makes any difference to them whatsoever. Unfortunately, as I would expect any medical staff to understand, gastroenteritis takes you by surprise and so I couldn't possibly give any more notice than I had, and had to explain that being poked and prodded "down there" would not be the best thing to have done whilst suffering from D&V.

Only when I suggested that I could come in anyway, and infect all of the staff and patients did they relent.

I certainly would expect a little more empathy and sensitivity from these staff, and think that better training should be given. I have to say that this isn't the first time that I have spoken to this particular person, and that they are consistently rude and abrupt.

Very disappointing Mary's! You should be doing better.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is extremely concerned by your posting regarding the Gynaecology department at St Mary's hospital.

Your comments have been passed to managers for this department.

We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you.

Please contact Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on email pals@imperial.nhs.uk or by telephone on 0203 312 7777.