"Acute Stroke Unit"

About: North Devon District Hospital

I live in a big city and am used to large hospitals. When I was told by my brother that my mum had, had a large stroke and was been taken to the local hospital I was a little worried as I wasn't sure what facilities there were to care for her. How wrong could I be! The acute stroke unit is an amazing unit, staffed by some of the most dedicated and caring staff in the NHS I have ever come across. From the moment my mum got to the hospital in A&E the staff were thorough and wasted no time getting her to the stroke unit. The unit is so busy but that does not stop the staff giving personal care, the doctors have explained everything to the family, the nurses let you be involved in caring for mum and are always on hand for a shoulder to cry on or advice. I cannot praise the unit enough. My mum is still there and recovering thankfully, it's early days but I'm sure being given the warm friendly and professional care she has been having is helping her recover.

Dear Stef

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on the website, at what was obviously a very worrying time for both you and your family. I have shared your very kind comments with the A&E and stroke unit managers, where I know they will be both warmly received and shared with the staff.

I do hope your mother is recovering, and wish her a speedy recovery.

With best wishes

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'stef'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

Thank you for responding tothis experience at a difficult time; I also wish your mother a good recovery.

At Healthwatch we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments should help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss this or any health or social care issue with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain
Volunteer

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.