"A long wait in A&E but thorough treatment"

About: Broomfield Hospital

I visited A&E on Monday evening (arrived at 9 pm and left at 3:00 am the following morning).

It was a very long wait to even see a triage nurse, which I wasn't particularly happy with, due to the nature of what I'd come in with (chest pains).

Everyone I saw was friendly and treated me with the utmost respect.

My treatment was also thorough.

One thing that really concerned me, however, was the calling out of names in what was an extremely busy and noisy waiting room (with a TV running).

I was sitting with my back to where the doctors were coming from for the most part, and really isn't easy to hear your name when it is busy, even with good hearing!

Inevitably, some of the callers were much louder than others, and but some also made the effort to call the name more than once before walking away again.

Some called the name out only once fairly quietly, and then just walked straight back.

I know that you do come back to recall, but some recognition of the noisy environment would be more helpful, and the names always called out two or three times in immediate succession if no-one responds.

Response from Jonathan Wright, Patient Experience & Voluntary Services Manager, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Thank you for the positive feedback its is appreciated. I will forward to the Matron who can share with team and raise the issue of Doctors of needing to shout louder to gain patients attention.