About: St Peter's Hospital (Chertsey)

I was away from home for the weekend and had a 4 week old baby with me who whilst we were away started to have explosive diarrea and was losing a susbtantial amount of blood every time he went to the toilet. I was told by St Peters that I may as well drive home (4-5 hour journey), as they wouldnt be able to look at my baby for a similar amount of time anyway. We drove to the next nearest hospital that we knew of, and my son was admitted to the childrens ward right away, has been given tests including ultrasound etc. He was extremely dehydrated, which could have been far more serious if we had taken the huge journey St Peters had suggested. We still are not certain what has caused my son to be unwell, possibly a severe allergic reaction or a bowel obstruction, but either way this was an emergency situation as a 4 week old baby is so vunerable. I am appalled at the service I received from St Peters, and I hate giving this review because I am a huge fan of the NHS, but it makes me feel sick that something so serious could have been so much worse if I had listened to the advice St Peters gave me.

Response from St Peter's Hospital

We are extremely sorry and concerned to hear about your recent experience at our hospital.

Clearly this is not the experience we would want for our patients, particularly one so young and vulnerable. Without knowing the full details it's difficult to comment more here but we would encourage you to contact Nicky Burns-Muir, Associate Director of Nursing – Paediatrics on 01932 723690 or email nicky.burnsmuir@asph.nhs.uk so that we can investigate your case.