"Eye hospital A&E visti"

About: Sussex Eye Hospital

I had a problem with my eye which was initially seen by a rheumy nurse at PRH who told me to see my GP as they could treat it.

Saw my GP that afternoon who said they weren't quite sure but if I was very sore the next day I could turn up any time in the eye A&E during the day.

So, the next day I arrived there at 1pm only to be told that the morning clinic had ended and that I needed to return at 3pm.

Nowhere on the website does it tell you this!

I'd travelled on the bus from Burgess Hill so there was no way of going home to wait.

There are very few nice places to sit and wait.

Two hours later I returned to the department and was registered.

By far my biggest issue with my experience today, 11/09/15 3pm, were the receptionists.

Who spent all their time gossiping, talking about their nights out etc and in particular were very rude to a man came in needing help who had ended up in the wrong dept.

They sent him on his way but as soon as his back was turned they laughed at him.

Very unprofessional!

All that aside, the brief encounter I had with a nurse was very good and the doctor I saw straight after was excellent even though they were clearly rushed off their feet!

I felt that they'd investigated my problem thoroughly and had listened to me.

All in all, apart from the needless wait and the reception staff, a very good service.

Response from Sussex Eye Hospital

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to feed back your experience of the Sussex Eye Hospital.

I am pleased to see that clinically the service you received was good but am sorry to hear about the less positive aspects relating to your wait in the clinic and the general behaviour of the reception staff.

I will be sure to pass on this feedback - both good and bad - for the team to see.

I do hope your eye is now recovering well.

Kind regards,