About: West Cumberland Hospital

I have unfortunately had the pleasure of being admitted to several NHS hospitals in my lifetime. The standard of care I have generally recieved has been very good.

I was admitted yesterday morning to the West Cumberland Hospital (Whitehaven) for a knee replacement. The standard of care I have recieved so far has been breathtaking. Every member of staff has been nothing short of fantastic. They have been attentive, funny, professional and caring. Nothing is to much trouble. I will still be here for a few days but know the staff commitment to all the patients will remain at the highest level.

I have never sent an email like this before and I have no friends or relatives connected with the NHS but I would have no issues with my comments being used anyway you like. I hope my comments could be relayed to all the teams involved in my care. Surgery, aftercare and the team on the ward.

The move to the new hospital is almost upon you and I sincerely hope that your staff get a state of the art hospital that matches their dedicated commitment to the care of the patients.

Simon Humphrey

Response from West Cumberland Hospital

Dear Simon,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience whilst in West Cumberland Hospital. It was lovely to read your comments and I am delighted you had such excellent care. I have passed your comments to the staff concerned and they are pleased their efforts have been recognised. They all work extremely hard to offer excellent care and when someone takes the time and trouble to thank them like this it is fantastic.

I do hope you are recovering well

Best wishes

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust.