"Poor treatment at A&E Monklands"

About: Monklands District General Hospital / Emergency department

After having a heart attack, and stent fitted 8wks ago

I was referred by GP to Hospital as I was having sever chest pain. I handed in my referral letter to reception who informed that doctor was aware of my arrrival.

And someone would see me imediately.

45min passed and suffering with sever chest pain I had to go back to receptionist

Who had to take me straight to triage nurse.

IWas seen by nurse, ECG, taken and noted that I had elevations on my reading.

I stayed in A&E for 3hrs. Seeing no Docter, pain relief, or any communication.

And was transferred to A&E assent area...and waited another 3hrs before discharging my self as they only one doctor covering the whole Area. and informed that no doctor could see me.......I never make judgment on the NHS but I think this situation is a disgrace, and according to staff this is a regular occurrence

Response from Ruth Thompson, Chief of Nursing Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Cumbernauld Patient,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience which I am very disappointed to read. This is not the service we aspire to deliver at Monklands Hospital.

I am very concerned to read of your recent medical history and the severity of pain you experienced today. You intimated you didn't wait to be seen by a doctor and I would strongly urge you to attend your GP or if you still have chest pain to come back to the Emergency Dept.

It is important for the Nursing and Medical Team to learn from patient experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further. If you could contact Patient Affairs on 01236 713065

Kind Regards