"I would like to be able to get off the bus when I want"

About: Burns Day Service

(as a service user),

Everything is fine at the day centre, I have no complaints.

What I don’t like is about the transport that takes us home in the afternoon. I would like to get off the bus when I want. If I need to go to the bank, they drive past it, drop me off at home then I have to walk back. One day I had a lot of money to put into the bank but I wasn’t allowed to be dropped off, I then had to walk back carrying this money with me which didn’t feel safe. I understand if you need help but I’m independent, I don’t see a reason why I can’t get off the bus when I want.

On another day my medication wasn’t delivered and I wanted to pick it up from the pharmacy on the way home. I didn’t even have to cross the road, I had phoned the pharmacist and she was going to stand in the street to wait for me. I did manage to get my medication on that day but it was such a hassle. I felt really annoyed, there are too many rules. Staff get in to trouble for doing things they shouldn’t, they can lose their job for helping people

It would be good to have the option to be able to be dropped in town sometimes. The bus takes me home but there is nobody there apart from my dog; I don’t always want to go straight home to an empty house.

Response from Tony Fisher, Team Manager, North Ayrshire Council We are preparing to make a change

Dear doglover2,

Thanks for highlighting the points about transport.

Have to say that it seems like a reasonable request to get dropped off at a suitable location if it suits you unless there has been a reason identified where the staff are concerned about your safety after you are dropped off.

We will discuss this matter on your behalf with the manager of the Day Centre that you attend so that they can agree the days when you want to make changes to the location that you are dropped off at.

I hope that goes some way to addressing the points you have raised and I hope you continue to have a positive experience of the day service itself.

Best Wishes

Response from Tony Fisher, Team Manager, North Ayrshire Council We have made a change

Hello again doglover2

I have checked with the staff at the unit and where possible they will try to assist you with your request in terms of sometimes getting off the bus at an earlier stop that is more convenient to you.

As discussed in the unit this will not always be possible by the staff will do their very best to accommodate your request.

I trust that this helps address the issues that you had raised and I hope that you continue to enjoy the services provided by the Burns Day Service in Irvine.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Best Wishes