"Was Shown No Dignity or Respect"

About: New Cross Hospital

I was forced to have a chaperone in the room with me even though the Hospital's chaperone policy states that I can refuse the offer of a chaperone if I so wish. The consultant tried to force me to keep a female chaperone in the room while I had a very intimate examination. It appears that the urology department makes no effort at all to provide male chaperones for male patients. I felt utterly humiliated and refused to undergo the examination. I went back to my doctor and was referred to The Manor Hospital in Walsall. At the Manor Hospital I was alone with the consultant while the female health care assistant waited outside throughout the entire procedure. New Cross Hospital need to learn how to treat male patients with dignity and respect. This is a lesson that I do not believe they have a desire to learn.

Response from New Cross Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments relating to your patient experience in our Urology Department.

I am sorry for any distress that this matter has caused you.

To enable me to look further into your concerns, I would be grateful if you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362 who can assist you further.

Kindest regards