"A review from a British born South African..."
About: Derriford Hospital Derriford Hospital Plymouth PL6 8DH
Posted by Mark Targett
I came into Derriford A&E unit on the 31/08/15. As follows is my review and where possible I would appreciate a personal thanks from either Hospital or NHS management to the amazing following staff - 1. Staff in the front desk in the A&E unit were very competent.
2. The triage staff member, the best service from any triage personnel I have ever seen.
3. The nurse who drew bloods and sited a J Loop. Extremely competent and highly professional.
4. All the staff (day and night) who attended to me during my stay, I would work with them anywhere in the world.
5.The catering staff who were polite and extremely friendly.
6.Whoever made the food, world class.
My complaints for review are - 1. The doctors don't "listen" to what the patient is telling them, I have found that most patients have a rough idea of what might be wrong with them. Patients know their bodies better than any doctor will.
2. I felt I would be "blacklisted" if I didn't do or agree with the doctors view point. Sadly this was annoying since I have been a paramedic since 1997.
3. I didn't enjoy the doctors rounds accompanied with their entourage. From my side of the ward, neither did any other patient. Regardless of the Hospital being a learning or Academic facility it is not a nice experience. To date I still don't know which doctor was actually treating/managing me.
4. The toilet seats don't have lids. Scientific studies have shown that when a toilet is flushed without a seat, minute particles and micro organisms can be sent 15 - 25 feet into the air. Not good for anyone with a compromised immune system.
Mr Targett (Lynher Ward. Bed F1)