"All staff were professional at all stages"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / General Medicine

I was admitted to Ward 4 of Hairmyres Hospital recently late at night due to a sudden infection. Following initial investigations, treatment and ordering of further tests I was then transferred to Ward 6. My total stay was 3 nights.

At all stages the staff from Consultants, Doctors, Nursing Staff, Nursing Assistants, Porters, Discharge staff etc were professional, courteous, kind and friendly. I was kept fully updated at all stages of my stay as to treatment plans, tests and what would happen next. Nothing was a problem and all staff kept a careful eye on some more 'challenging' patients who had specific difficulties and needs.

I cannot fault the care and commitment of a large team of people who are very obviously good at what they do and do it very well under difficult circumstances at times. I would however comment that perhaps one or two could improve their phlebotomy skills 😁! !

Response from Gwen MacIntyre, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical care, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear CWR,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such kind comments from your Hospital visit. I will ensure your thoughts are shared with the teams you will have encountered on you journey through our emergency recieving Surgical system.

These occassions are never easy as it can be traumatic being admitted to hospital for any reason and I am really pleased our staff helped to ease your experience. I hope you are recovering well and wish you a speedy journey back to health.

Kind Regards

Gwen Macintyre

• CWR thinks this response is helpful

Response from Rick Edwards, Patient Information & Experience Manager, Patient Affairs, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear CWR,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch, I’m pleased to read that your experience on the whole was positive, although I was disappointed to read your comments about phlebotomy. Different staff groups take blood from patients and we do have an established programme of training and assessment in place. There will obviously be times when staff are learning but they will always be supervised.

I’d be grateful if you could contact my colleague Irene Dragoonis who is the Phlebotomist Supervisor at Hairmyres to discuss your experience further. You can contact Irene on Tel No: 01355 584315.

• CWR thinks this response is helpful