"Flexible visiting hours as i came ..."

About: York Hospital

Flexible visiting hours as i came from a long way to visit an elderly relative

poor cleanliness and staff not using hand gel managed to pass on MRSA to my 94 year old relative. relative was left for 11/2 hours after pressing buzzer in the night for a nurse to help her to the toilet. On one occasion was left in the bathroom for ages waiting for a nurse to help her get off the loo and back to bed. When the nurse eventually arrived she said "sorry, had to go on my break so left you in there till i got back".

My relative was there for 4 weeks before anyone thought to give her a shower and wash her hair and THAT was only because we complained and by then they had given her MRSA so showering was part of the treatment.

Most of the nurses were trying their best and were helpful when we spoke to them but we were constantly having to complain about the standard of care. Some areas of the ward were dirty.

Response from York Hospital

Thank you for your comments and we apologise for not responding at the time of posting. Please be assured that in future York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust will respond to all comments in a timely manner.