"I attended the extended day unit ..."

About: York Hospital

I attended the extended day unit on Weds 16th Sept 2009. I was due for a septoplasty, nasal polypectomy and turbinate surgery. I arrived promptly at 7:30am and I was taken to theatre at 11:50am. The staff knew I was very apprehensive and they were very caring and reasurring. Staff were 'down-to-earth' people, who enjoyed a joke and would do anything to calm my fears.

After-care was great. They kept checking up on me and offered me a drink and something to eat (a choice of light snacks). They allowed me out early instead of staying the night due to a good recovery (no packing needed) which was welcoming, yet part of me felt that maybe a night in hospital would not have been a hinderence as it was such a welcoming, warm environment. Although I didn't have a meal (I left as it was being served) it looked very nice considering the reputation hospital food gets these days!

Although an extended day unit, a TV would be nice to pass the time. I sometimes find reading too much before and after surgery. A completely minor point that did not affect my care at all.

A fabulous hopsital. The entrance was welcoming and it was easy to find the place I needed to be. The help desk was great when I needed to find the toilets on the day of my pre-op.

I would always request any hospital visits (including maternity care) in the future, at this hopsital,despite a 45 minute drive!

Response from York Hospital

Thank you for your comments and we apologise for not responding at the time of posting. Please be assured that in future York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust will respond to all comments in a timely manner.