"Great staff and hospital, shame about the..."

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

I attended the Breast Clinic twice in the past three weeks following a very efficient referral system by my GP. I was treated with respect and dignity at all times and found all the staff considerate and approachable - the mammographer even managed to make me laugh during a painful procedure - thank you!!

My only gripe with the whole system has been attempting to make an appointment to receive the results of my mammogram. I was handed a piece of paper by the Breast Clinic receptionist with a New QEII Appointments telephone number which I tried numerous times over several days following the mammogram. The number rang 30/40 times and then just cut off - very frustrating given the potential implications of the results I was trying to get! I then phoned the Breast Clinic who gave me the main Outpatients Appointments number which I know from numerous previous experiences is a nightmare to get through on. On my fifth attempt I got through at number 23 in the queue (an unusually low number) and stuck it out for the 34 minutes it then took to be answered. I now have my appointment but will, in future, refuse to leave any hospital without my next appointment made and a confirmation letter in hand.

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

Thanks for getting in touch and whilst we were pleased to see how well you rated the clinical side of your experience, clearly the appointment administration side of things left a lot to be desired.

We are aware of these matters and are tackling them - with a degree of success, but clearly more needs to be done - we'll pass your experience on to the appointments team so that they can investigate what, if anything, might be done to allow people in your situation to make these follow-up appointents more easily.

For future refences, you can also use our general enquiries email service (generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net) to request help with such matters if you're not able to make contact via the phone system.