"why bother with an emergency ward no one..."

About: Royal Preston Hospital

I was told by my gp that I needed to go to be assessed urgently for suspected appendicitis or problems with unconfirmed ovarian cyst. I waited an hour to be seen to fill in paper work, three hours for bloods to be taken , then a little longer to be seen by surgeon, five hours for ultrasound scan, six hours for pain killers,s five and a half for results of scan, nearly eight for blood results. A total of ten hours in hospital to be treated to then over hear the appauling night staff talking to the surgeon on duty st that time say give me the easy cases I font have time to deal with anything else! The day staff I can find little fault with apart from time they were polite and caring, the night staff where off hand, indiscrest and uncaring! I was eventually discharged without any paperwork as scan unclear and as far as the surgeon on duty in evening was concerned was now my gp's problem! No treatment offered or given or cause for all my pain and no further effort made I was just sent home to cope in agnony! I was not the only patient discharged in this state! Disgusted is an understatement!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was sorry to hear of your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues you have raised in more detail. If you are happy to do so, please cna I ask you to contact me on 01772 522793.

I was also concerned and disappointed to hear of the marked difference in attitude between the day and night staff and have raised this with botht he Matron and Head of Nursing for that area.

Response from Royal Preston Hospital

THnak you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were sorry to hear of your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail to see how they can be resolved. If you are happy to do so, please can we ask you to contact our Customer Care department on 01772 522521.