"I am still in pain"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Occupational therapy

I was at the pain clinic at the Victoria on the end of August the doctor wants me to try and lower my M. S. T but I am still in pain. I am also watching my father illness slowly kill him.

I would love to drop my piankillers but I am just far to sore due to an opertion going wrong.

My wife had to get a doctor out as I was in so much pain I been seeing a doctor as I was self harming and at one point having thoughts of ending my life.

I feel that I getting made to lower them I just do not know what do to.

Dear spambo,

I am really concerned to read about how the pain you have been living with has been affecting your life, and looking back over the stories that you have shared before I know that this has been a long journey for you. I can see that you have been in contact with doctors from the Pain Service for quite some time, and you mention that you have talked to your GP before about your thoughts about ending your life, however I would strongly encourage you to share with them again that you are still struggling with these feelings. This will be taken into account by your doctors when looking at the way forward in terms of your medication, and they will be able to give you the best support going forward.

Equally, it is your right to ask for a second opinion so if you feel you are having difficulty in communicating with your doctor, your GP will be able to help guide you in this, or in accessing advocacy services if this would be helpful. Also, if there is anything about your care that you would like me to look into more specifically, then please get in touch with me with a few more personal details – my email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

I know that it can be really difficult to talk frankly about feelings, particularly under such upsetting circumstances, but your doctors are the right people to speak to so that they can plan the best way forward with you. Hopefully with this extra support, this will lead to things being much more positive for you in the future.

I wish you all the best,

Lorna