"Had to repeat history several times"

About: NHS 24 Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department

(as a parent/guardian),

I was asked to attend Wishaw General A & E in August by NHS 24 with my daughter (15) who had R sided lower abdo pain. We arrived at 11. 45pm. Not seen by a nurse until after 1am, when bloods were taken, cannula inserted. We were told there was no cubicle free, so back to waiting room.

My daughter was uncomfortable & tired, but nevertheless managed a urine sample which she handed in. Finally into a cubicle at 04. 37, observations done a couple of times. Eventually examined by a Dr after 8am (new shift) Informed there had only been 2 on overnight. Urine sample result had not been documented & no one knew the blood results.

Then sent to paediatric ward, and discharged later that morning, happily appendicitis eventually ruled out. Clearly the A & E staff work hard, but clearly there are issues, how many Drs do they normally have? And how many E. N. P's? NHS 24 are supposed to forward details but we had to repeat the same history several times.

Response from Faith McCrea, Service Manager, Emergency & Medical Services, Wishaw General Hospital

Dear jm1210

I am so sorry to hear of your experience attending our A&E Department and the delay that you had in your daughter being seen by Medical Staff, as well as having to repeat information at such a worrying time for you. I am pleased to hear that your daughter was able to be discharged and hope that she is feeling much better.

Further information would be helpful to be able to understand the activity within the department at this time to ensure your delay could not have been avoided, therefore could I ask that you contact Yvonne Ross our Patient Affairs Manager on 01698 366558, with more information to allow us to be able to feedback to you.

Kind Regards,

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Dear jm1210

Thank you for your posting which I read with interest. I was very sorry to learn that your daughter has been unwell and I do hope that she has fully recovered. I am sure this would have been a very worrying time for you and your family.

I note that you have mentioned a call to NHS 24 in which you were advised to attend at A&E with your daughter. Following initial assessment by NHS 24, if it is deemed appropriate for a patient to attend at hospital, we routinely provide patient details to A&E departments to ensure that they are aware of the impending arrival of a patient and of their presenting symptoms. We are keen to confirm whether your daughter's details were passed to A&E by NHS 24, however in order to do so, we would require some further detail to enable us to investigate this. Therefore, if you would be kind enough to contact me directly, I would be keen to explore this further. My direct telephone number is 0141 337 4582 or at patientaffiars@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

With kind regards