"Lack of GP service"

About: Borders General Hospital NHS Borders NHS Grampian

(as a parent/guardian),

Our daughter lives in Aberdeen was admitted as an emergency for abdominal pain and operated on.

When she was discharged she came home to recover but became very unwell resulting in another emergency admission to our local hospital where she remained for the next 10 days.

The staff there were fantastic.

She has been discharged and now has an even longer recovery period of a couple of months.

I contacted our local GP as she requires medication and sick line etc and after a lot of discussions they have refused to assist us stating she needs to get on a train to Aberdeen and see her own GP. They stated that the emergency was dealt with and they are not prepared to take on someone with chronic conditions.

She is a young girl who has spent nearly 3 weeks in hospital and requires follow up and analgesia which we are struggling to get a prescription for.

Our daughter was a patient at this practice since birth to going to university. Thankfully her GP in Aberdeen has helped us and even attempted to talk to our local GP practice were it appears were even ruder to her hanging up on her!

Do all GPs not have a duty of care?

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Mum

What a sad state of affairs. I am glad the GP in Aberdeen was able to help. I would contact your local Health Board to seek advice if your issues are on-going. There must be some way of managing a situation which no doubt is replicated up and down the country.

Best wishes to your daughter. I hope she is recovering well.

KInd regards,

Response from Susan Cowe, NHS Borders

Dear Help please,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, we very much appreciate you taking the time to make positive comments and to help us make things better. I was very disappointed to hear about the inconvenience caused to you and your daughter at a time of need.

As you correctly point out GPs do have a duty of care to the patient's on their Practice List. What I would normally expect to happen is for the GP to register your daughter as a temporary resident. We would be happy to discuss your concerns directly with the GP practice on your behalf. If you wish us to progress this please contact Costas Kontothanassis, Contracts Primary and Community Services on 01896 825587.