"Attitude from reception"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / Accident & Emergency

My son was waiting patiently for 3 hours on a wheelchair at reception with his foot resting on a chair 2 keep it elevated, when the receptionist suddenly started to berate him for making, and I use their words here a racket insisting the receptionist had a a headache.

I was sitting out of site from the receptionist and approached them and challenged what was said insisting he certainly was no making any noise at all, and was met with yet more abuse from the receptionist! !

My son was visibly upset now as well as in pain. Made a hellish trip 10 times worse. An absolute disgrace! !

Dear Ruffles,

I am really sorry that your son was spoken to in a way which left him feeling upset - this is of course not at all how we would wish any of our patients to feel after using our services. We would expect all staff to treat our patients professionally and with respect, and so often our reception staff are the first people that our patients come in to contact with, so this can set the tone for the rest of the visit.

For the most part our reception staff do absolutely treat patients politely, and particularly in A&E this can sometimes be under difficult circumstances. However I am sorry that on this occasion that this was not the case and I will make sure your comments are highlighted to colleagues in A&E at the RAH.

I hope that your son's injury wasn't too bad and that he has fully recovered,

Best Wishes,

• Ruffles thinks this response is helpful