"Mixed care experience"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency Lincoln County Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics Pain Management Solutions Limited

After 17 months of intense sciatic pain, I had a fall. I called 111 who sent out a first response guy, who then sent for a ambulance. I was given morphine and gas and air, put on a spinal board and neck brace.

When I got to a&e the first response guy stayed with me until I went for my xrays.When the results came back, I was told by the Dr that I had a "shortening of the spine" and was then told I had fractured my spine. 10-15 mins later a very rude abrupt member of staff came into the room, told me to get up, get dressed as I was being discharged. The member of staff then proceeded to move my bed from a laying position to fully upright and took my help buzzer from me.

I have never felt pain like I felt at that moment, and I have given birth naturally!

I sat crying for 20 mins before I was heard and someone came to help me.

Anyway, I was sent home. I managed to stay home for 9 hrs before my sister had to take me back up in a wheelchair as I was unable to walk. The nurses this time were lovely.... the consultant I saw was not. The consultant came into the room, basically told me there was no fracture, and I was in pain because I was overweight. Luckily my sister was there, and demanded he examine me.

I was admitted for 8 days. I was given a emergency MRI, which found that I had a moderate herniation and a severe herniation. Degenerative disc disease was also found. At this point I could only sleep sitting up...

A lovely woman on the ward fetched a reclining chair and a adjustable bed for me. She brightened up my days, I wish I could remember her name!

Pain management not only made it possible for me to leave the ward walking, but I also left almost pain free!

I was finally put on medication to help with my pain. And I was given a Tens machine, and told to keep it! I am now awaiting spinal injections..... been nearly 2 months with no appointment, but I will get there eventually.

I would like to personally thank the staff on welton-Neustadt. They were beyond incredible!

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Lorna,

Sorry to read about your poor experience in A&E, this is not the level of care that I expect from the team.

I will be sharing your concerns with all of the nursing staff to promote an improved patient experience in the future. I can see you were happy with the nursing care you received on your second visit so we will endeavour to provide this level of satisfaction at all times.

I will pass on your concerns regarding the Medical staff to the Lead Consultant.

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister