"Coming to the day centre makes all the difference to me"

About: Burns Day Service Dirrans Centre

(as a service user),

I used to go to Dirrans centre as I had a head injury but when I reached a certain age I was too old and Nanette, the manager, arranged for me to start coming to Burns day centre. Nanette visited the centre with me and got me settled in.

It’s brilliant at Burns. There are all different activities. Staff are really good and they join in all the activities with you. If you take not well they make sure you’re ok. If they need to phone an ambulance a member of staff will go with you to hospital, I’ve even seen the boss go.

They look after you at lunch, they make sure you have enough to eat and drink. I’ve got a key worker but I can talk to any of the staff, they’ll listen and try to work things out. If I’m upset there is a quiet room I can go to.

Last Friday we went to the pipe band championships in Glasgow, it was a good day and we had our lunch out. It’s things like this, the staff really can’t do enough for you.

I live myself and coming to the day centre really makes all the difference to me.

Response from Tony Fisher, Team Manager, North Ayrshire Council

Dear bruce123,

Please note my thanks for you taking the time to get in touch with us regarding your move from the Dirrans Day Service to Burns Day Service.

It is very satisfying to hear that the transition between the two services was managed in a way that allowed you to settle in to the new surroundings and I am glad that you are finding the new service to be to your satisfaction.

It sounds as if there is a wide range of useful activities both within and outwith the unit itself.

I will make a point of highlighting your positive comments to the staff at the service and I am sure they will be delighted to know that the service continues to meet the needs of those that we support.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Best Wishes