"Poor treatment from staff in A&E"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department

I had been advised by NHS 24 to attend Wishaw General after a dog bite. I did highlight that there were only a few puncture wounds but one had penetrated through my nail. The call handler thought that it may be better to get this checked out in case I need an antibiotic.

After a few hours wait (2 am) I was seen by a very agitated cheeky member of the A&E staff, who came storming into the room saying they were raging for three reasons. The first was because I had been sent to Wishaw General and was closer to Hairmyres and they had not been that busy and this was always happening (if there are politics within these hospitals I did not need to know them). I advised the member of staff that I was only doing as advised.

The second apparent reason for their agitation was that my tetanus lasted a lifetime and the third was that I would only be given antibiotics if I was savagely attacked. Again I reminded the member of staff that I was only doing as advised.

They begrudgingly decided to give me antibiotics and dressed my hand. I know the job may be stressful but I have seen this member of staff before about a year ago when my dad collapsed and was met with the same agitated hostility. I think they should really think about their career if it is making them so miserable.

I pay National Insurance and have done so for over 25 years and thought that I could attend any A&E. They did grumble an apology before I left too little too late I am afraid.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear maryhg,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience, as you correctly say you were doing what you had been asked to do. I would be really keen to try and understand who the member of staff was, therefore could I ask that you contact Yvonne Ross our Patient Affairs Manager on 01698 366558, with more information to allow us to take action on this.

Kind Regards,

Gillian

Dear Maryhg,

Many thanks for getting in touch with Yvonne, I have requested your notes to provide me with more information. I will contact you with the details and we can discuss further actions.

Kind Regards,

Gillian

Response from Andy Pender, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Wishaw General Hospital

Dear Maryhg,

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience.

In my role as Senior Nurse for Emergency Medicine I will work with Gillian to investigate your concerns and provide you with a targeted response.

I hope that your wound is healing and you are feeling better.

Andy