"I didn't think I would enjoy going to a day centre but now I couldn't do without it"

About: Gowanlea Day Service

(as a service user),

The day centre is great. I used to say “I’m never going there”, it took ages for them to get me to come and now they can’t get me away.

It makes a change to get out the house and talk to folk, sitting in the house gets to you. They keep everyone busy, there’s always something to do.

We used to go on day trips but there aren’t enough staff now to do this; this is something that’s missing now from the centre.

It’s a good staff, they can’t do enough for you. I keep extra clothes in a locker here in case I need them, the staff are great about this and if I need to change I don’t feel embarrassed to ask for their help.

It’s hard when staff members leave and new people start that you don’t know and you don’t know how long they will stay. It can be a while you don’t feel comfortable but over time it gets easier.

Response from Tony Fisher, Team Manager, North Ayrshire Council

Dear flora123,

Many thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us regarding the services that you receive from Gowanlea Day Service.

It seems that you are now enjoying spending time there after your initial apprehension about going - it is always strange to try a new service for the first time.

I also note the point that you make about trips and I will ask the external manager for that service to look into that on your behalf.

I do hope that you continue to enjoy the services provided at Gowanlea and once gain, thank you for getting in touch.

Best Wishes