"Thank you to all staff involved in my mother-in laws care"

About: Monklands District General Hospital / Emergency department Monklands District General Hospital / General Surgery NHS 24 / NHS 24 (111 service) Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

My mother in law had been unwell for a few days- she had her gallbladder removed last year and has had some grumbles since then, but this was persistent. On Tuesday evening the pain became worse and she began vomiting.

She called 111 around 8. 30pm and was quickly put through to a nurse who arranged an emergency ambulance. The paramedics did initial heart checks at home and then transferred her to hospital for full assessment. She was admitted to Monklands Hospital and is now awaiting surgery following tests that have confirmed stones in her bile duct.

We would like to thank all staff involved in identifying the urgency of the situation and arranging prompt emergency care for her.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Dear Lucyvp

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide positive feedback on the service provided to your mother in law. I was sorry to learn that she has been unwell, however I am pleased that her symptoms have been confirmed and that a treatment plan is in place.

I note from your posting that contact was made with the NHS 24 111 service and that the call was managed quickly with an ambulance being requested. I am pleased to learn of the positive experience provided by NHS 24 and also by the other health professionals involved in your mother in law's care. I do wish her well for the future.

Thank you again for your complimentary feedback. Should you wish to provide any additional patient detail to enable us to identify the staff who managed the call here at NHS 24, I would be pleased to hear from you. I can be contacted directly on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

With kind regards

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

• Lucyvp thinks this response is helpful

Response from Martin Esposito, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement Department, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Lucyvp

Thank you so much for sharing this story.

Like Shona, I was also really sorry to hear that your mother in law had been unwell but pleased to hear about the response and care she has received. We are working hard to ensure that there is a ‘joined up’ approach to providing unscheduled and emergency health care and it really pleasing to read about examples such as this.

I am so glad that we were able to help your mother in law on that evening and wish her well with her recovery.

Take care