About: Lincoln County Hospital

I attended A&E with abdominal pain but referred back to GP services. 2 hours later I was back in A&E in extreme pain. I was admitted into the department and the nurse sorted out pain relief. I waited at least 3 hours before I was seem by the A&E Doctor.

The A&E Doctor was dismissive and made it clear they did not believe there was anything wrong with me. Fortunately a senior Doctor reviewed me and sent me for a CT Scan.

Despite the CT scan revealing I had a large abdominal mass the first A&E Doctor continued to be rude and dismissive.

I have since had surgery but was less than impressed with same of the care I received in particular the discharge arrangements are chaotic. I was sent home with nothing and told to report to my GP to have clips removed. This in fact was not correct it was the District Nurse who I needed to contact. As I had no discharge letter the District Nurse was completely unaware of what procedure I had undergone.

I had no follow up appointment and spent 2 hours on the phone trying to make one.

I would not recommend Lincoln Hospital

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

We would like to thank you for the concerns you raised through patient opinion and would like to assure you our aim is to deliver safe, effective, high quality care to all our patients.

On discharge from hospital the staff should have explained to you what was required on discharge, including arrangements for having your clips removed. Both you and your GP/District Nurse should have received a discharge letter explaining what procedure you had done and what the post operative care should be.

We would like to offer our most sincere apologies this was not done and that you found your care to be below an acceptable standard. We welcome any concerns/issues that are raised in order that we can learn from this and prevent it happening again in the future.

Catherine Capon,

Acting Matron,

Surgery / Orthopaedics,

Lincoln County Hospital

Response from Chris Sharman, Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

We are very sorry to hear of your poor experience at Lincoln A&E, and would like the opportunity to investigate what went wrong for you, and to learn from this unfortunate incident.

In order that we can identify you, and the medical staff involved, we need some more information from you.

If you would please contact our PALS team on 01522 707071, or by e-mail at PALS@ulh.nhs.uk, we can take your details, review your care episode, and let you know the outcome of this review.

Best regards,