About: Leicester Royal Infirmary

My mother was taken by Ambulance to A & E at 3.30pm, from Market Harborough.

By 5.30 we phoned A & E to see how she was.

They had no record of her.

After phoning Admissions, the Ambulance Service (no joy there), Kettering General (just in case), being told she was not on the hospital groupo database, ringing the GP to check where she was supposed to have gone (LRI A & E) a request was made to speak to the A & E manager.

We spoke to a deputy who finally ca 6.30 confirmed mum was indeed at the A & E.

Still no word on her condition, on one call we were told her doctor was on a break.

Fair enough but why was there no one else who could bring us up to speed.

By 8.30 we found out she had been moved to Ward 15.

Phoned the ward to be told she'd 'just arrived' and no they could not tell me how she was.

(In my day there were notes at the end of a bed which gave a fair indication. We had not asked for a diagnosis.

7.00 the following day a call to the ward elicited that she had had a 'bad night' and would we phone after the consultant had seen her.

we ere told we could not speak to anyone re her condition as 'her nurse' was in with her.

24hrs and no competent update of how my mother was.

This is not good enough.

I understand NHS is stretched due to political meddling but this is farcical.

Will try to find out how mother is at 4 20 pm today.

Response from Leicester Royal Infirmary

Dear S.Evans,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment.

We are really sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced when contacting our A&E to get information about your Mother's care. This does not reflect the level of care and service we expect our patients and their families to receive. We would like to investigate your concerns so we can provide reassurance regarding your Mother's care and improve our service for future patients and families. If you are happy for us to do so, please email your Mother's details (name, address, date of birth and hospital number) to me: Julie.A.Dixon@uhl-tr.nhs.uk.

Kind regards,