"I was scheduled to have oral surgery ..."

About: Pontefract General Infirmary

I was scheduled to have oral surgery at the hospital due to my wisdom teeth being an unusual shape and anaesthetic being necessary to the procedure. Already a nervous patient, I arrived with my mother who I wanted with me. I had to be at the hospital between 12 and 12.30pm and was told I would have to wait until approximately 5pm for treatment, and to the detriment of my nerves was told I would have to endure that 4+ hour wait entirely alone.

I have heard since that it is a human right to have someone wait with you, but unfortunately for me at this precise time there is a swine flu epidemic, and non-patients are being refused access to wards of out patients.

Needless to say, I was incapable of coping mentally with a four hour wait alone and refused treatment. Thankfully my teeth have ceased to cause any further issue. Had I been able to sit with my mother on the ward, in relative comfort - instead of in reception in a hospital gown and my dressing gown! - perhaps things would not have turned out the way they did. Not that I intend to ever register for my teeth to be removed again!

Response from Pontefract General Infirmary

We apologise for the anxiety described but any restrictions are designed to protect all our patients; such deceisions are not taken lightly. If the patient would like to discuss the matter then we would invite them to contact us on 01924 213684